vegan nail polish removers

I am not the biggest girly girl you've ever met. I'm not even a girly girl, really.

But I do like nail polish.

I've stopped putting it on my finger nails altogether since it chips so easily for me. But I love to do my toe nails. Right now I'm in a limbo period since I'm supposed to have toe surgery next week and can't have nail polish on at the time. The past couple days I have been lusting after new nail polishes to try.

The other day, I was painting one of my tables (this story relates, I promise) and was reminded the hard way that oil based paint does not come off with soap and water. Before I knew it, both of my hands were covered in white, oily paint, as well as my bar of soap. I panicked. I didn't have any paint thinner and I quickly thought of what I did have that might help. I decided on nail polish remover. That helped a little bit but not nearly as much as I thought it would. Then I thought of a label removal method that was effective (olive oil and baking soda) and the supposed "miracle" of coconut oil. Seconds later, I was slathering coconut oil and baking soda on my hands, praying that it would help. It. worked. I was amazed. With such natural ingredients, I was able to take off the nasty smelling, chemical laden white oil-based paint. It was a miracle to me.

This experience got me thinking about how many other chemical-laden products I have in my home simply because I think they're the only things that work. I thought of that nail polish remover and how I thought it would work but didn't, and how terrible that must be for my skin (and nails!) that I tried that. I decided that I would research vegan and/or natural nail polish removers.

Most of them are expensive. As in $12 and up. I don't know about you, but for me, who usually buys a store brand nail polish remover at $2.77 per bottle, it made me seriously rethink this purchase. For a minute. And then I decided it was worth it to me to no longer use a chemical-filled product that was tested on animals and bad for the environment.

These are the options that I have come across. I intend to purchase each of them and test their effectiveness.

1. Priti NYC
2. Scotch Naturals
3. Karma Naturals

I look forward to trying each of these and reporting back on the results!

(No, I am not compensated in any way by these companies. I just want to check them out for myself!)

This entry was posted on Saturday, April 26, 2014 and is filed under ,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply